Gavin Maltby writes:
> On 06/09/06 12:31, Darren J Moffat wrote:
>
> > What problem does this solve ?
>
> Trawling syslog files with miserable Perl scripts and the like, trying to
> rebuild structure from a not very well-formed or structured ascii text.
> Writing a syslog event monitor should not involve grokking around in
> that mess.

Writing a syslog event monitor is an activity that just should not
happen.

Syslog is intentionally not any sort of stable reference.  If you want
that, you want FMA, sysevent, or the like, and you may well need
extensions or enhancements to deal with the special issues that
software failure modes imply.

Instead, syslog is a great dumping ground for all sorts of debug and
human-only messages, and will likely be treated that way indefinitely.
I would oppose an effort to apply structure on top of something that
is inherently without structure.

This isn't the right droid.

--
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>