Nicolas Williams writes:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 12:12:33PM -0400, James Carlson wrote:
> > Instead, syslog is a great dumping ground for all sorts of debug and
> > human-only messages, and will likely be treated that way indefinitely.
> > I would oppose an effort to apply structure on top of something that
> > is inherently without structure.
>
> Are you speaking of the protocol?

Both of the files and the applications that use syslog.  The protocol
itself is well enough defined.

> The IETF SYSLOG WG is chartered to, among other things, add room in the
> protocol for structured messages:

Yes, I'm well aware of that effort.  I think it's misguided for
exactly the same reasons.

If someone feels like implementing syslogng on Solaris and (in
particular) the extensions that allow structured XML messages to be
generated, well, go ahead.  I think it's really an unwise decision
because the usage case is unclear and seems to overlap greatly with
the intended purpose of more stable, robust, and already-deployed
mechanisms (such as SNMP Inform) to deliver event notification.

But if someone's going to take this on and own it, and show how this
isn't merely an attractive nuisance for developers, I guess I'll wait
to see that.

--
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>