> Is there any  IDE controller driver availble in Solaris 10?
> There are several company like siig make ide or sata internal controller and
> mostly they have Linux driver, why no one develop one for Solaris?

The creator of marTux ( Martin Bochnig ) issued a usenet post some time ago
about the IDE controller drivers in Solaris and its an excellent little
document to refer to.

Let me copy it out in its entirety here.

======= with thanks to Martin Bochnig ===========

Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 00:20:39 +0200

Thomas Glanzmann wrote:

>>Is there a limit to how large the disks can be in a Netra X1 (possibly
>>with OBP updates)? I'm wondering if I could install a couple of
>>100-200GB drives in it, so we can use it as a media/jumpstart server.
>

> it depends on the Solaris version.

Only true for Solaris8_FCS/Update1/Update2's limits (at least on x86).
The device driver (and therefore Solaris) version you use is just a
"soft-limitation", true.
BUT the 128GB bug is hardware related (with rare exceptions, i.e.
CMD/Sil0 649, where it is kind of "hybrid limit" [UNDOCUMENTED]).

I guess Solaris 10 is fine. Anything
> below will break at 127Gbyte++;

THOMAS GLANZMANN, WRONG!
It depends on the builtin (IDE-Controller-) chipset.
Several older chipsets of various vendors including CMD/Sil had their
hardwired HARDWARE limit at 128GB.
In those cases even "Solaris 18", maybe in 2018, wouldn't help at all.

Guess-work is of no help, but here are FACTS:

bash-3.00$ uname -a
SunOS unknown 5.11 smb_1__20050731sun sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000
bash-3.00$ isainfo -v
64-bit sparcv9 applications
         vis2 vis
32-bit sparc applications
         vis2 vis v8plus div32 mul32
bash-3.00$ grep -i ata /etc/driver_aliases
uata "pci1095,646"
uata "pci10b9,5229"
uata "pci1095,649"
uata "pci1095,680"
bash-3.00$

You see ALL IDE-chipsets currently supported (or at least "just
working") on SPARC Solaris2.11_nv18 (OpenSolaris Nevada build 18
[Solaris11 from July]).

The CMD 646 is slow crap (used in U5/U10 and maybe others).
The CMD/Sil (0)649 is not built into any SUN system I am currently aware
of. However, it has been a very very good solution for ca. three years,
as it was the ONLY one also available in form of IDE-PCI boards (instead
of system board - integrated ONLY) AND working on SPARC Solaris hosts.
It was quite fast with Solaris([8/]9/)10's default ata driver (UDMA100).

uata "pci10b9,5229" represents the "Ali 5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller".
There are many UltraSPARC systems employing it (mainboard integrated):
SB100/SB150/SB1500/SB1500Silver(?)/Tadpole_SPARCle_500SX and certainly
low-end servers as well as ide-based TelCo's (including yours?!!).
I'm pretty sure it is hard-limited to 128GB (not 100.00% sure).
It all depends on access mode/addressing issues.

YOUR SOLUTION is the ultracheap (starting at $9 on eBay) CMD/Sil 0680
Dual Channel pci-board!!!
It will support >= 128GB (at least 500GB). It is very fast
(UDMA/UATA_133). You can have as many of them as you have free pci
slots. You can use them with volume manager/raid.
etc. etc., all you ever dreamt of!
YEZ, also on any NON-IDE (SCSI based) SUN SPARC machine (without boot
support then).

martin

ya gotta love him for "Guess-work is of no help, but here are FACTS".

  :-)

So, there ya go.  Go get a Dual Channel pci-board CMD/Sil 0680 and your
rocking and rolling.

--
Dennis Clarke