On 24/05/2006, at 11:03 AM, Boyd Adamson wrote:
On 24/05/2006, at 9:14 AM, Nils Nieuwejaar wrote:
On Tue 05/23/06 at 14:30 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On May 21, 2006, at 5:54 PM, Boyd Adamson wrote:
For those skimming, my actual question is below. See 2) .

I've just recently taken delivery of a shiny new Macbook Pro 17". Since I've read good things about Parallels, I thought I'd try it out with recent builds.

Short answer is: it doesn't work. On reading forum posts both here and at Parallels, it seems I'm not the only one for whom this is true.

I'm following this with some keen interest.

We just recently bought a new MacBook for my wife and I'm having my work 15" Al PowerBook upgraded to a MacBook Pro real soon.

It would be nice to see Nevada working within Parallels.

Does Solaris 10 U1 work, though?

S10u1 definitely works.  I'm using it right now.

Nevada works as well - but you can't boot a Nevada DVD. If you want to use Nevada, the easiest way that I've found is to install S10u1 and then liveupgrade to Nevada.

Nils, I saw your blog post on that, and it's the next thing for me to try. I was kinda trying to avoid the extra space requirement.

Out of interest, can you see the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM image *after* the live upgrade? in other words, does the path to future builds look clear?

Ok, an update to this.

I'm now running Parallels' release version (build 1848) and it seems they have resolved at least some of the problems, but the significant ones I mentioned earlier in the thread are still there.

However, I think I have a workaround for the more significant one, where boots from recent builds can't mount the CDROM, even though they boot from it.

Thanks to playing with nexenta, I have discovered that if I boot a current build ISO (I'm currently waiting for b41 to install) and then edit the grub kernel line I can get the whole install to run (so far... it's at 25% installed right now).

If you boot the ISO image (I'm using the DVD image) then press "e" at the grub menu, then "e" again, you can edit the kernel line to change:

kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -B install_media=cdrom

to:

kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -B install_media=cdrom,atapi-cd- dma-enabled=0

And the install seems to proceed fine. No need to install s10u1 and then live-upgrade. I don't know if the need for this workaround is a solaris bug or a nexenta one.

The other issue I mentioned in my previous post (spontaneous reboots just after boot) seems not to have happened to me yet. I *have* had solaris hang at about the same point, but haven't tried to troubleshoot that yet.

Also, for setting up X, I found the instructions in the last post in this thread to be useful: http://forum.parallels.com/thread276.html (at least on older builds. May have got better at auto-detection by now)

Boyd