Exellent, we are in agreement here :)
I believe the original thread wording below was from Casper.

I may have overshot a bit in my wording, my apology.
All interest parties do appreaciate if there is some update on the discuss list on the vp
discussion when you have some milestone update :).

-Ghee

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Ghee Teo writes:

It seems that this is already covered bby the Visual
Panels project;
I do not believe we should have two competing
projects except in cases
where there are very compelling reasons.
These may have been replied before in a similar vein, but it seems to be
th
at visual panel is much more SMF oriented.
That's not intended to be the case. If there's text in the vpanels project pages that led you to this belief, please point it out to us so we can fix it.

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/vpanels/

(While we are extending SMF's capabilities to reduce specialized code
needed by visual panels and other administrative tools, the visual panels
experience will not be SMF-centric from the user's point of view.)

liane

Darren has pointed to a chunk of the text concerning SMF in his reply.

Mentioning SMF for implementation isn't the same as being SMF-centric. We'll see if we can wordsmith this more to make it clear, but please read the last sentence in what Darren quoted.

In his reply, he also highlighted another point which from the desktop's
perpective and in the Open Source context, we have a gap to fill in from
the Single Sys Admin's point of view. That is, the Desktop has to improved
on a faster pace in terms of its usability lest we are eclipsed by our
competitors (not to mention that we are in playing catch-up mode at
moment).

You both seem to believe I'm objecting to creation of the SSA project. I'm not, and thought it's approval was complete. I was just trying to
determine where your misapprehension about Visual Panels came from, and
if the place Darren identified is the only one, I appreciate the pointer.

I have no doubt that vpanels is a great project :). But I also
think that SSA and vp are complementary projects. One thing we do need
to make sure to work on that the two works well together.

There is and should continue to be ongoing communication. Darren explained many many days ago the relationship between the two projects, and I was quite satisfied with his explanation (and it wasn't a surprise either :) ). You re-explained the relationship by saying Visual Panels was only SMF, and I was trying to correct that. I remain satisfied with Darren's explanation about the projects' relationship.

For example, how will vp be integrated into the desktop? How much of the
overlapping configuration data can be managed/shared properly (guess in the
area of control panel that Darren has mentioned).

Darren mentioned that configuration data should have one source. That needs to be a given. If anything SSA or Visual Panels (or any other
project!) does violates that rule, all usability is out the window.  If we
all stick to that, I'm confident we can work out the rest of the details.
I'm just not planning to work them out on opensolaris-discuss. :)

liane