On Sunday 06 August 2006 05:45 am, Nicolas Linkert wrote:
> That's interesting - I'd like you to elaborate on this a bit more. Why is
> Debian becoming a non-free project? Because it has understood that it's
> impossible to work with you and therefore has forked cdrtools?

In theory, Debian will always be a free distribution.

But my bigger question, and why this topic belongs in opensolaris-discuss is
that if Debian is placing CDDL code in non-free, that wouldn't be fair to
opensolaris.

non-free software is ok, but it's not a part of Debian because it's not free.

-------------------------------
From the Debian Social Contract:

5. Works that do not meet our free software standards

We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of works that do not
conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have created "contrib" and
"non-free" areas in our archive for these works. The packages in these areas
are not part of the Debian system, although they have been configured for use
with Debian. We encourage CD manufacturers to read the licenses of the
packages in these areas and determine if they can distribute the packages on
their CDs. Thus, although non-free works are not a part of Debian, we support
their use and provide infrastructure for non-free packages (such as our bug
tracking system and mailing lists).

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering - IHV/OEM Group