On Thursday 10 August 2006 12:37 pm, Tim Foster wrote:
> It strikes me that the delivery of software, and the location it's expected
> to be found on across distributions is like herding cats. Even on Solaris,
> it's been hard enough to standardise (cf. /usr/ucb /usr/xpg4, /usr/xpg6,
> /usr/sfw/, /usr/gnu, etc.)

Sure, which is why I would like to see some type of standard for them to link
to. This might be a good opportunity to deviate from Sun's poor use of
/usr/sfw, and create a link for /usr/gnu. I know other software that is not
gnu is in /usr/sfw, but a good chunk of it is gnu.

What is /usr/bin was always a symlink, to point to the respective personality?

I've done similar over the years where I symlink ~/bin/ld to point to Solaris
or GNU's ld.

If we could issolate these changes to shell, and be able to open a shell of
each personality, with a common implementation for distributions, I think
we'd go a long way to making it easier to run various applications that are
envirionment specific (SysV and GNU being the obvious).

I like the personality concept and having personality.conf files as you
suggest is good. I'd like to have more than one personality though, call me
schizoid...;-) But a way to have a personality configuration is a good idea,
IMO.

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering - IHV/OEM Group