Gino Ruopolo wrote:
Also other sysadmin I know found the same when
switched from Sparc to Opteron...

Then you know the wrong sysadmins.

:|
Simple test: Compile some files in parallel (dmake -j
X) on a 2 cpu box:

(1) dmake -j 2
        real     1:18.18
        user     1:37.05
        sys        18.57
     Load average: 1.32
dmake -j 8
        real     1:12.24
        user     1:37.65
        sys        18.42
     Load average: 4.32
dmake -j 64
        real     1:14.06
        user     1:37.90
        sys        18.49
     Load average: 11.86
me system time
. only a slight increase in user time from -j 8 to -j
64
I'm not talking about 32-64 copy of the same process.
100 process is nothing!
I was referring about having 10.000 - 40.000 process runnning
for a total of 60-90 GB RAM

My ---initial testing--- between a 4x880 Opteron and SF4800 12x USIII 1200 Mhz are showing lower load on the SF4800 when more than 10.000 process running.

Anyway doing benchmark is not easy :)

Load average isn't interesting.  What is interesting is throughput...

Now, I can well believe that 12 CPUs w/ 8M caches handle
10K processes more gracefully than 4 CPUS w/ 1M caches...

What were you expecting to happen?

- Bart

--
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Kernel Performance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://blogs.sun.com/barts