On 11/16/06, De Togni Giacomo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I see another problem.In my opinion,the question is about  maintaining a single
version of Solaris for Enterprise and Desktop market.These two enviroments are
quite different for many reasons.Ten years ago,we had Motif an CDE for all
enviroments and this was ok.Then,with the arriving of Gnome and KDE,we have had
a new challenge for UNIX in the desktop market .A challenge for a better
user-friendly enviroment, for a better integrated desktop into the OS and a
more simple OS management.So,why have not two versions of Solaris OS? Most of
code should be shared from OpenSolaris project,we can add some characteristics
for specific enviroment:

this is a very solaris specific argument and has little to with
opensolaris, different constraints too
Please don't, having 2 different solaris distributions will split the
efforts of the already limted developers that are working in solaris,
that will certainly lead to lower overall quality of both
distributions and will very likely confuse costumers. To sum up, it's
a really nasty idea.
on the other hand, you have opensolaris and (potentially) the number
of developers is not so limited, youre free to grab the souces and
start your own opensolaris distribution, others have and are quite
successful, check nexenta for example.

nacho