>Peter Tribble wrote:
>> On 1/1/07, wb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >  I have a /tmp FS for swap, and a really big file crout*
>> >  inside. The /tmp was 95% up.
>> >  I decided to remove the crout file.
>> >  The problem, is the /tmp is not decreasing, but still
>> >  growing.
>> >
>> >  How could I make it decrease?
>>
>> Find and kill the process that's writing to that file.
>
>Somehow I am wondering why Solaris doesn't ship "lsof" in /usr/sbin/ ...
>is this just "noone had time yet" or something else ?

No; it's something that "we won't ship, ever" because of the
nature how lsof trawls for its events.

While we've hardened the system against panics induced by lsof and other
kernel browsers, a piece of code which reads data structures without
respect for locking and follows pointers which may no longer be there
can report bogus data as well as reveal information that should not
be reported.

That's why we've elected, in the past, to mimic some of lsof's functionality
in other tools, notably pfiles.  I understand some of the information is
still wanting so perhaps we should improve there.

Casper