> I was on that team back then, and I don't see those
> guys involved in
> this discussion on this list right now. If you knew
> the context, you may
> be less critical, actually. But it's ok to disagree
> with any given
> marketing strategy, even though that one pre-dates
> OpenSolaris and has
> no place here at this point.

It has place here more than one might at first realize: what would GPLing
Solaris be, if not an attempt at endearing Solaris to the "GPL community"
(Linux folks really, let's be honest). Is that also not a form of marketing?

While GPLing Linux might have been an ideological thing, GPLing Solaris is an
obvious move to win more political points with the Linux community and the
press at large. And that alone is already the wrong reason, in my firmest
belief.

So we want to market this thing. OK. But causing publicity stunts and trying to
suck up to somebody that doesn't really want/care/like Solaris in the first
place might not exactly be what you intend.

However, one other thing is also true, and that is that most of those people
don't really *know* the product. For if they did, they would have long ditched
the whole pointless GPL/GNU/Linux thing and switched over.

And that Jim is something that *good* marketing *can* change. Show them the
good stuff Solaris already has; and the rest of us should also ditch this
debate and concentrate on making Solaris even better.

"Build it and they will come."

Each one of us has certain wishes and expectations of Solaris; some of us have
already started "scratching our own itches", and some are about to embark on
that journey. Now, what does that remind you of, all of you? If you thought,
"that's how Linux got it start!", you got the gist of what I'm trying to
communicate.

So let's get back to work!