On 2/5/07, James C. McPherson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Josh Hurst wrote:

>> >And how far have the star or ksh projects progressed? The last one
>> >appears to be in serious trouble now because Sun has to complain about
>> >every little detail and the star project makes either zero progress or
>> >no progress announcements.
>>

>> The only problem in the ksh93 project is people who are not part of
>> the project team and who are not participating in the review and
>> who understand bugger all of the processes we created for OpenSolaris
>> and which have worked reasonably well for Sun internally, butting
>> in with inflamatory remarks when there's even the slightest hint
>> of constructive criticism in messages from Sun employees.
>
> The major problem with the ksh93 project is Sun Microsystems who is
> adding more and more mindless rules. Once one task has been finished
> Sun always comes up with two more items. Which kind of cooperation is
> this? I really think there are too many rules. They may work within
> Sun and may even explain the degradation of quality once Sun tries to
> ship it (re: JDS versus normal Gnome) but this is hardly appropriate
> for an Open Source project.

Ok Josh, how about you provide detail on which of those "rules"
Sun is suddenly pushing forward, and why they are mindless. If
they truly are "mindless" then it would be really good for other
people to find out why.

Few examples:
Why is it required to remove .so and lint libraries? You don't do that
for X11 even when the API is not public.
Why is is necessary to demand the removal of diff files from the
source tree even after the project team has begged Sun to leave them
in?
Why are 3 Arc cases required for one shell?
Why does it take that long to get a simple shell added to Solaris?

Josh