It's not a workload issue.  We can handle more packages (as long as
our nightly build completes in 24 hours ;)  But it doesn't seem
logical.  Currently there is no rule to determine where a package
belongs.  It's a matter of who integrated it initially.
Ideally, desktop should be desktop, X should be X, ON should be OS
and networking.
There is also no reason why all the GNU tools should follow the
GNOME schedule, which JDS currently does.

This is actually a big beef at my company. We're replacing Gentoo on
our application nodes with OpenSolaris for a variety of reasons. We
had a rude awakening when we did not install most of the Gnome
packages, and were missing glibc 2.0 as a result...and a couple other
critical packages. Interestingly, eject and the hal would not work
without glibc 2.0. Its pretty ridiculous to expect folks to install
the X/Gnome packages on a server. Particularly, from a security
point-of-view.

So we second the notion that GNU tools should NOT be packaged in with
Gnome, but should be separate.

Best Regards,
Jason