* Laszlo (Laca) Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-02-22 18:29]:
> So the /usr/gnu proposal[1] was approved by PSARC.  Obviously, the
> reason for defining /usr/gnu wasn't theoretical -- it allows moving
> GNU packages from /usr/sfw to /usr or /usr/gnu and it helps us
> integrating more GNU packages into Solaris.  We have already seen
> the first few putbacks (m4, bison).
>
> The JDS team (well, Dermot ;) is working on adding more packages
> (mostly the tools required for building JDS).  Obviously, it's easier
> for us to deliver these through the JDS consolidation.  However, they
> really don't belong there.  Neither do some of the packages we already
> deliver into Solaris, like Python, libpng, libogg, etc.
>
> I think the GNU Solaris community would be a perfect place for these,
> if it wasn't a community but a project (or a consolidation?).
> I propose that we launch a project that aims for creating a repository
> of spec files that follow the /usr/gnu rules.  Sun could pick the
> packages that we want to integrate into Solaris and support, other
> packages could be available from opensolaris.org with community support
> only.
>
> How does this relate to:
>
> SFW: If proven successful, it would gradually phase out SFW.  The idea
>      is that this repository would be more inclusive (i.e. not only
>      supported Solaris packages) and easier to contribute to than SFW.
>
> CCD: Again, if proven successful, supersedes it.  One big difference is
>      that the CCD installs to /opt, while this repository would install
>      to /usr.
>
> SFE: We have 200+ spec files written by various Sun and non-Sun opensolaris
>      community members here:
>      http://pkgbuild.svn.sf.net/viewvc/pkgbuild/spec-files-extra/trunk/
>      Those that satisfy the /usr/gnu criterion of being listed in
>      the FSF/UNESCO free software directory can be moved into the
>      new repository (after some clean-up and testing).

  I'm puzzled why it wouldn't be appropriate to just adjust SFW to take
  either classic-SFW or pkgbuild spec files as part of its build
  process.  There's a project, a C-team with knowledge about freeware
  dependencies (that I'm sure would be happy to take on members), and an
  ongoing effort to change its processes.

  That is, why not just merge CCD, SFE, and SFW into a "freeware"
  consolidation that delivers appropriately to /usr, /usr/gnu, and
  elsewhere, and allow multiple build approaches?

  (Just, please, don't tell me you wanted to avoid discussions that
  might involve compromise...)

  - Stephen