Hi,

Keith M Wesolowski wrote:
>> reality.   Similarly, is your qemu project affiliated with any
>> community?  If so, ask the leaders of that community why you weren't
>> included.)
>
> Exactly - that's the right place to start, not with the OGB and not
> with the process itself.  If the Community leaders are unresponsive or
> don't appear to have any sound rationale for denying endorsement,
> escalation to the OGB may be appropriate.  The OGB should never force
> a Community to endorse a Project; presumably the Communities are the
> repository of technical knowledge and leadership and are expected to
> make value judgments about the viability and desirability of ongoing
> work.  But denying endorsement by failing to maintain awareness of
> relevant projects, because of personality conflicts, or for other
> reasons not related to a project's technical merit is a problem well
> within the OGB's mandate to address.

But there's absolutely no consistency with that. There's no guidelines or best
practices of how to apply the membership. If one community's interpretation of
the process is easier for geting 'Core Contributor' status compared to another
community's process, then you're potentially going to get a weighted community.
No one wants that, it'll only lead to bitterness among the wider community.

While I can appreciate how it on a local level within the various OpenSolaris
sub-communities, so that you build up a web of trust when technical issues need
to be tackled, I'm still really struggling how it fits with the wider global
OpenSolaris community. It's very clear there are a number of
groups/individuals/whatever that don't have the same level of interest or
approach to detail that you do, Keith, and that worries the crap out of me.

Glynn