> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, David Lloyd wrote:
>
> > Indeed, apt-get for Solaris would be quite useful
> :P
>
> Blastwave.org is thataway ----->

Sad to say, but upgrading services (ldap, web, etc) running from Blastwave
packages caused us a bunch of grief.  We went back to building our own.

Doing a blanket upgrade to your Blastwave packages will (in our experience)
start up daemons in BW packages even if you had previously disabled by removing
/etc/rc3.d links.

Blastwave package upgrade == package remove followed by package install.  Not
like, say, RPM's handing of upgrades at all.  The service stops while the
upgrade happens.  Not to mention, some of our config files got creamed (this is
really the packager's problem rather than inherent in SVR4 packages).   This
kind of explains why Sun puts out _patches_ rather than new versions of
packages - because applying the latter can't be done easily to a running OS
instance.  SVR4 package management just wasn't designed to work the way that
people expect package management to work these days.