Hi Alan,

A packaging system like apt is exactly what I'd like. Frankly, a
packaging system that blends the binary delivery benefits of apt plus
the source delivery benefits of "emerge" would be fantastic. The
network install is primarily what we're missing...that and the pkg
utilities just feel a little clunky in the 21st century. Sorry for the
extremely delayed response...been buried.

Best Regards,
Jason

On 3/19/07, Alan DuBoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Monday 19 March 2007 05:13 pm, David Lloyd wrote:
> Joe,
>
> >> Indeed, apt-get for Solaris would be quite useful :P
> >
> > Isn't that Nexenta? Had to say it.
>
> I don't want the Ubuntu Userland on an OpenSolaris code base. I'd prefer
> a distribution as close to Sun's release of Sun Solaris (tm) that I can
> get but without Sun Solaris', errrm, wonderful? package management.

Why do you care about the packaging system, if it works? IOW, do you really
care about what type of package is used if packaging in Solaris worked as it
should, with dependencies resolving properly?

I don't think you really care about .deb packages either, what I *think*
you're saying is "give me a packaging system that works like apt does!", if I
understand you correctly. I'm in agreement with you, if that is what you
meant, and packaging is being looked at inside (Open)Solaris Engineering.

I will be right in line behind you for a packaging system that works with
proper dependency resolution, as apt does with Debian. I want to be able to
install over the net also as apt has done for the past number of years.

Between the Caiman project and the Packaging, we'll be much closer if not
there in the future.

Check out the Installation and Packaging Community, if you haven't yet.

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/install/

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 Engineering - IHV/OEM Group
Advocate of insourcing at Sun - hire people that care about our company!