Hi there,

Its a question of preference. Solaris is a far superior OS in the
kernel etc. Userland it just isn't. Nexenta is a really nice bridge
between the two. Frankly, if you need to get hot around the collar
about this issue its alright.

Best Regards,
Jason

On 4/2/07, a b <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Solaris is a good OS. Unfortunately, its the last remaining SysV worth
>learning. HP-UX is dead, as is IRIX....my Octane2 at home not
>withstanding. Let's not make this a "the mountain has to come to
>Mohammed" thing. The question is whether or not Solaris wants greater
>mind share...that is the Linux mindshare...if not, don't change
>anything. If so, make it easier to come over. Its a simple decision it
>seems to me...not worth all the vitriole.

Nice spin.

Let me ask you this though:

you had no problem with learning Linux, why do you have a problem with
learning Solaris then?

I really don't mean to sound cliche, but that's a double standard... not to
mention it's plainly and simply unreasonable.

Sun gave people like you everything you demanded so far -- an open source
OS, a nice liberal license, tons of really usable, high-quality professional
tools and software - but it's all still not enough.

If what you really want is another Linux, then why settle for a "copy"? Just
use the original, and don't bother with Solaris.

The way you put it, "either make it look and behave like Linux or we'll
ditch it", just sounds too much like blackmail.

And I'm really unsure is such user base is a good user base for any
operating system, including Linux himself.