--- UNIX admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Sun studio just has to be as available so that
> > software developers will hopefully stop using
> gcc/gnu
> > ld specific stuff and an easy to update open
> solaris
> > distribution (nexenta looking pretty much
> there...)
> > being installed everywhere will hopefully draw the
> > attention of those software developers to open
> > solaris...
>
> I'm unsure what you mean by the above paragraph. Sun
> Studio has been available gratis for some time now,
> for Solaris and for Linux. It beats the living
> daylights out of GCC in just about every respect,
> yet people don't even know that there is such a
> thing as Sun Studio, let alone that it's gratis.

Well, I am out to try to get some things working on
Solaris and I had to hunt around before I realized
that Sun Studio was gratis...I still remember the
bundle I paid for my Ultra 5 + Solaris 8 and Sun
Studio not long before Solaris 8/9 became a free
download...

> What concretely do you propose to solve that issue?

I don't know...I thought that Sun Studio had some
restrictions when I downloaded it...

The Solaris Express Developer edition has this not for
production tag on it and I recently discovered the Sun
Studio Express (don't you love gcc extension using
software)... I only found out about the Linux sun
compiler by chance after having actively looked out
for it from time to time.

I guess the best way is to make the developers take
Solaris into account by making their users want to
take Open Solaris/Solaris 10 for a ride.