Joerg,
The SAM commands came out of former LSC, inc. I can't comment on what was considered in the naming of them. I have been with the product in one form or another since 1998 and these SAM commands existed then, probably since 94 or 95. They are included in /opt/SUNWsamfs/sbin and bin.
Ted

Joerg Schilling wrote:
Tom Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

While doing this is a really good idea, I see potential name conflicts
with older softare.....

Since 20..25 years, I create and publish programs like:

smake, star, sformat, sfind (a bit newer), ....

and I recently got some information that SAMFS may include progran names
like "star" and "sfind".

I support this project, but I would like to see that the programs are renamed into something like: 'sam*' in order to avoid confusion.

Jörg

Considering these are currently unbundled and shipping products, that might be hard. I.e., would you want to tell customers that they need to learn new commands, change all of their scripts, etc?

Thomas, I am waiting for a reply....

Please tell me where potential name clashes are and how you like to deal with a problem that seems to be caused by not looking to the outside...

-       Which programs from SAM FS have name clashes?

-       What do you intend to do in order to solve the problem

- Do you like to install the SAM FS utilities in directories other than /usr/bin and inform your
                customers about possible problems?

        -       Do you intend to rename your utilities that
                have name clashes?

Jörg