On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:

Ted Pogue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Joerg,
    The SAM commands came out of former LSC, inc. I can't comment on
what was considered
in the naming of them. I have been with the product in one form or
another since 1998 and these SAM
commands existed then, probably since 94 or 95. They are included in
/opt/SUNWsamfs/sbin and bin.
Ted

Thank you for the information!

This means that a normal Solaris user will not be confused but a user that
did install /opt/SUNWsamfs may be confused if a SAMfs program named "star"
will not be called via a full PATH name.

Note: star exists since 1982 and uses the name "star" since 1985. Star is the
oldest free "tar" implementation.

All that said, why not use the "ZFS style" for SAM-related admin commands, i.e. have a utility "sam" as universal knob for everything SAM-related ?

Not taking sides here - merely thinking about a product that I don't know how to use, that is SAM/QFS, and a paradigm "zfs ..." that I've seen before, and think "nice".

I start to see the reason for /usr/xpg4/bin now ...

FrankH.