> I will also write this: an average enterprise, even
> of the mom'n'pop kind, should have *NO* desktop
> systems, be they PCs or laptops. They should be using
> thin clients, and it's *OUR* job to provide that for
> them, moreso, it's *OUR* job to sell them that
> solution and convince them that that's the way to
> go.
>
> If you don't know anything about washing machines,
> and your washing machine breaks, you ask the repair
> guy for recommendations. Same with your car. And a
> computer, by an order of magnitude more complex
> device than either the washing machine or a car,
> should not be, must not be, any different.

Those in the enterprise that travel as part of their job might
need a laptop, so that they have functionality independent of
connectivity to the servers.  Those that are in R&D or whatever,
such that they need access to high-end 3D graphics, or need lower
latency disk access than NFS can provide, probably will
need a desktop and not just a Sun Ray.  Now, that desktop could
perhaps be loaded in such a way that it booted diskless and used the
local disk if any strictly for cachefs (at least with respect to OS
filesystems; if latency were an issue, app data filesystems might be local)
and swap, making it in effect a thin client of sorts, if not quite as easily
administered as a Sun Ray.

So I'd say even fairly typical enterprises might have some limited use
for non-thin-clients that some end users might interact directly with.
JumpStart, flash archives, careful configuration choices, and other
installation and administration tools and considerations could mitigate
but not quite eliminate the overhead of administration for those.