On 5/11/07, Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"Thomas De Schampheleire" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 5/10/07, Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> The fact that I had the "Schily userland", did allow me mostly forget
> > about the platform I was working on...... using my editor, my shell,
my
> > "match" insteas of *grep, my tar, my make, .... did give me the same
> > behavior for > 80% of the tasks I was doing.
> >
> > Conclusion: Let's have Solaris provide all useful kinds of userland
> > flavors
> > but do not make it a "new Linux". note that Linux does not give this
> > kind of freedom to it's users.
> >

> Could you give some more details about what you mean with "Linux does
not
> give this kind of freedom to its users" ?

Show me a single Linux distribution that includes the SVr4 tools by
default.

The fact that it's not a default, doesn't mean that the 'freedom' isn't
there. That's exactly what I mean, the freedom is there both in Linux and in
OpenSolaris, therefore it's the defaults that matter. Either you are
prepared to tune the defaults to your own needs and preferences, which you
can do with both Opensolaris as Linux, either you are not and prefer
something that feels right out-of-the-box. For some people this will be
OpenSolaris, and for others that will be Linux.

I don't think that both OS'es should become the same, I only think they can
learn from each other. Furthermore, if OpenSolaris wants to attract Linux
users, efforts should be made to make Linux users understand the Solaris way
of handling things. The Immigrants community is the perfect place for it,
but should be more visible in my opinion. For example, it could be mentioned
in the introduction on the front page...

Thomas