--- Michael Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's painfully obvious that OpenSolaris and Solaris
> on x86 platforms lack drivers of all sorts. It also
> lacks an easy way to install software reliably. If
> making OpenSolaris/Solaris more like Linux can
> resolve both these problems then I'm all for it. If
> the "Linux-like" statement is just a marketing ploy,
> then it's just a waste of time and it'll signal the
> death knell of Solaris. The latter is just Sun
> jumping the shark with Solaris.

As quite a few here have pointed out: Take it up with
your hardware vendor. Open Solaris/Solaris does not
necessarily need open source drivers (having it of
course is an advantage, nic drivers especially) when
binary drivers will work across all Open
Solaris/Solaris releases (save drivers using newer
stuff like the SATA framework).

> I've switched over to Ubuntu and everything just
> works. I have sound and native OpenGL (Radeon X800).
> The latter just required "aptitude install fglrx."
> In the end, I'd rather be coding/playing with things
> that interest me. The OS to me is an means to end,
> e.g., writing code and playing with OpenGL say, than
> managing all the packages that I need to achieve
> that end.

Next time, get a Nvidia card. Nvidia has Solaris drivers.