> Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 00:36:42 PDT
> From: UNIX admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [osol-discuss] Re:  Re: And that would break... what,
>       exactly? (Re: Sun to make Solaris more
> To: opensolaris-discuss@opensolaris.org
>
> > i'd fire any of my sysadmins if i ever catch them
> > using fedora in any
> > production server. you dont use unsupported software
> > there. do not
> > ever underestimate the value of blaming someone else
> > when things
> > break. And people have used solaris for many years
> > without the
> > sources.
>
> My feelings exactly, add me to the list!
>
> What the heck, why would anyone explicitly go to the trouble of using
> Fedora in production, unless they were some sort of a hacker?

There are all kinds of production environments, and there are all kinds of
expectations of users, businesses, admins...   I've been in high-pressure,
high-rigor, high availability environments where exactly what your
describing is the case.  Nothing goes in without support, process, testing,
and real system engineering is the order of the day.   Those places are
Solaris heavy, in my experience.

But there are a lot of places that need a system that someone there knows
how to use a lot more than they need a system that some sysadmin they don't
have can keep running out to 5 nines.  There are a lot of places that have
developers for whom Linux is the best choice because that's where they know
how to develop.

A nice new turbo diesel may be a lot better than an older gasoline engine,
but so help me, I don't have any idea how to change the oil in one.

For users who come from a Linux background for whatever reason, system
maintenance has a pretty steep learning curve on Solaris.  This has
absolutely nothing to do with the substantial advantages that Solaris offers
over Linux.  Patches/packages, for example, are a huge PITA compared to
.debs.  There isn't a good reason for this, as there's little functionality
provided by those differences and a lot of functionality NOT provided in the
patch/package system.  Same for the installer, etc.  It may not be a huge
list, but it's enough to put people off.

So feel free to condemn those environments and users as some kind of
hackers.  There are a lot of them out there using Linux that might be better
off on Solaris.  My question, though, is that if Solaris continues to work
for your 'real' sysadmins, what's wrong with it being accessible and usable
by the 'hackers' too?

Rich