> Looks like you did not understand the problem.
>
> DEL is the correct way to go.

I understood what Casper wrote.

Technically, Casper is right.

Ergonomically, realistically, it's unreasonable.

> The problem is that the PC keyboards are not
> ergonomic and have
> the BACKSPACE key where DEL belongs.

Correct. And just about every modern keyboard, including the Sun Type 6
keyboard here on the table in front of me, has a big [BACKSPACE] key with a
nice big arrow pointing to the left.

So, Sun can either press on against common sense, or simply remap erase to
backspace.

Like I wrote before, it's their call. I claim that in this particular case,
it's unreasonable of Sun to proceed with keeping the [DEL] key be the default
erase.

I am also unequivocally NOT disputing the technical correctness.

> If you reassign BNACKSPACE to deelete characters,
> then many things
> will not longer work correctly.
>
> The best Solution I am currently aware is to use
> "rxvt" which locally
> maps the BACKSPACE key event to a DEL key event.

Hey, I know about stty erase ^V^H. It's an unnecessary PITA, and should be
changed.