James Carlson wrote:
I do wonder a bit what the distributors of far-afield variants ought
to think of this, particularly because of the naming issue and the
clear differences among the existing variants.  If I were working on
Nexenta, would I be pleased, uninterested, or disgusted?  Should I be

I note that none of them are raising objections in this thread :-)

jumping at the chance to have my own One True Way stamped as the
'official' OpenSolaris way to build a distribution?

You are obviously concerned about something "bad" happening here.
I'd suggest that you either need to actively lead this project
away from that "bad" path, or step back and see what happens.

I'll bet that, if the project is indeed going down that "bad"
path, it will fail rather quickly (and good riddance to it, if so).
But if it instead does "good" things and succeeds, we all will
benefit.

   -John