On Thu, 31 May 2007, James Carlson wrote:
Glynn Foster writes:
The only other sticking point is the name, and I agree with your concerns -
though arguably that's the most exciting part of the project proposal. I'm not
trying alienate all the other current or future distributions in any of this,
and in fact, I'd encourage their participation or thoughts. I think there's a
significant benefit to all of this, and if it turns into 2 years wasted (I
believe it won't), then it will be valuable experience for us all nonetheless.

No, I don't think it's time or effort wasted.

Me too. In fact for me it's the CRUX of the whole problem.
(Assuming this project still wants to be Sun-derived.) It's
THE single show-stopper. In other words, without it, then I'd
be happy to see the project go forward as-is.

Eric

I do wonder a bit what the distributors of far-afield variants ought
to think of this, particularly because of the naming issue and the
clear differences among the existing variants.  If I were working on
Nexenta, would I be pleased, uninterested, or disgusted?  Should I be
jumping at the chance to have my own One True Way stamped as the
'official' OpenSolaris way to build a distribution?