> How about this for instance? I am a net banking user.
> I login to my bank
> a/c from my non-superuser a/c. Malware, say a
> keylogger, running on my
> system can cause some damage - perhaps not to the
> 'system' the way you
> meant. But a compromised bank a/c is more damaging to
> me than say, a
> formatted hard disk. ;)

Another point before I forget: I don't know about you, but where I live, we
have special hardware devices with SIM cards that will generate a key for us to
get into our e-banking sites, based on a random generated code. The hardware
device must be unlocked with a PIN first, then a random generated number from a
login website must be put into the device to get a final code.

So even if a keylogger was running on my system, by the time that information
is sent to the attacker, it's already too late. He/she wouldn't be able to use
the information because it would be missing several pieces that aren't
reconstructable.