To Ian Murdoch and the Open Solaris Community,

As a long-time follower of the open source community, I stumbled across this
forum a week ago and was intrigued by the activity taking place on Open
Solaris.  I spent some time reading posts, and over the day some concerns
became clear to me; concerns that I felt compelled to write about.  I have
written a letter that I hope will encourage discussion and bring about positive
results.  I thank you for your interest.

[b]Gaining a significant market share will attract developers. [/b]

Imagine with me that Solaris was the OS on 40% of all computers.  Do you
believe that it would have a large and vibrant developer community?  Most
certainly.  Developers would miss out on 40% of the market if they ignored
Solaris.  Getting Solaris installed on as many computers as possible should be
the first and main concern.

It is true that users alone will not make Open Solaris into a great product,
but they are the final judge of its success.  The Open Solaris community must
remember who will use their software when the development is done: the user.

If a large number of desktop users should be the first priority, targeting the
Linux developer’s community is a poor strategy.  These developers are already a
small subset of all developers, and hundreds of Linux distros compete for their
limited time.  In targeting them, Solaris has chosen the hardest possible
target when much easier targets exist.

Where, then, will this imaginary 40% of users come from?  From Windows, of
course.  Windows is where it must come from.  Solaris [i]must [/i]take a large
share from Windows, not Linux, to be successful.

Fortunately…

[b]There is a large group of Windows users who would use a FOSS alternative if
it existed.[/b]

Wait.  What about Linux?  We already have an open source alternative.  Not
really.  There are two kinds of people who currently use Linux.  There are
those who are good at programming, who understand computers and software at a
deep level.  These people enjoy the command prompt, know what “Vi” is and
usually work in network administrator or other IT positions.  I shall refer to
these people as the Technical Elite.  The Technical Elite use Linux.

The second group is the friends and relatives of this Technical Elite.  Their
moms and dads and roommates.  These people rely upon the Technical Elite to
help them get Beryl working, to figure out Grub, to re-compile the kernel to
make their wireless card work.  They are not power users, and use their
computers to simply surf the web and write email.

The only reason this second group can even consider Linux is because it has
become much easier to use.  A lot of work has been done to hide the power, so
that an average Joe can do most average things.  But should something go wrong,
should something advanced need to be done, anyone not a Technical Elite must
seek the aid of one.  There is no middle ground.  The arcane syntax of the
command prompt ensures this.  In fact, I predict that Linux will continue to
grow until the Technical Elite can “support” no more.  Linux is too hard for
the average user to fix or update on their own.  There are too many gotchas,
too many places where special knowledge is required.  If any one doubts this, a
simple visit to the Ubuntu support forum will confirm it.  Post after post
documents the trials and tribulations of average users wrestling with even the
(seemingly) simplest of tasks.

Most people use Linux for a single reason.  They use it because, at some level,
they agree with the principles of Open Source.  They take the time and energy
required to learn Linux because of the strength of that belief.  They are like
people who have a dream of climbing Mt. Everest.  They train and practice and
spend a lot of money to fly to Asia and risk their lives to realize this dream.
 It is an expensive and dangerous process, but the view from the top makes it
all worthwhile.

However, for every person who has the time and money to spend making their
dream come true, there are hundreds of others who share the same dream, but
lack the time and money.  Climbing Mt. Everest will always remain a dream for
millions.

It is the same with Linux and Solaris.  It is a wonderful dream that thousands
like myself have, but we lack the time and money to invest in the learning
required to make it happen.  I want the freedom that climbing Mt. Solaris
offers, but I have a job and a wife and debts and not enough free time to spend
years figuring out sudo or XFS or D-Trace.  A truly Free operating system will
always remain just a dream for me.  I, and thousands like me, use Windows
because we want more power than a neutered Linux, but we lack the knowledge of
the Technical Elite to make Linux work.

It is unfortunate, because it doesn’t need to be this way.  The…
[b]
Technical constraints that shaped the way we use computers no longer exist and
must be rethought.[/b]

Some here remember a time when programs were punched in to cards.  We have come
a long way since then.  There are still some relics of that era that continue
in computing, particularly in open source communities.  Developers have spent
many years acquiring these skills.  They have grown used to the command prompt,
to Perl scripts.  They are comfortable.  Their knowledge gives them status.
However, these relics are the chief hurdle that prohibits the mass acceptance
of FOSS platforms.  Until the command prompt (and all functions that rely on
it) is replaced by a graphical, intuitive, easy-to-use interface, open source
operating systems will never gain wide acceptance.  The barrier of entry is
simply too high.

The frustrating part is that it doesn’t need to be this way.  We now have the
technology to make the command line obsolete.  Combo boxes and check marks and
tool tips could open up a world of features to the general user.  Simple,
intuitive interfaces would also allow the best tool for the job to be chosen,
instead of the most familiar.  Making it simple enough for the non-Technical
Elite makes it simple enough for all.  Outdated and arcane software ideas that
have been kept on life support for 30 years could be retired in favor of ideas
that are the product of 30 years of learning.

An operating system, based on excellent technology, wrapped up in intuitive
interfaces that allow the average user to utilize the full power of their
computer would be extremely attractive to not only the current Linux community,
but the much larger community of users who are attracted to the ideas of Open
Source.  For the thousands of us who will never climb Mt. Everest, it would be
a dream come true.

[b]Open Solaris has a once in a lifetime opportunity.[/b]

Solaris is uniquely situated to make this dream a reality.  With the support of
Sun Microsystems, resources (no matter how insignificant) could be directed
towards making fundamental aspects of Solaris “powerful AND easy” for all
users: to replacing the command line with an interface that would allow many
more users to enjoy and maintain their own computers, to rethinking the way
people interact with their computers, to lowering the barrier to entry without
resorting to baby-sitting.  Should Solaris use sudo or RBAC?  Users don’t care
about which is better.  They want the one they can use (Windows’ dominance
demonstrates this), and neither of these technologies currently meet this
criteria.

An operating system founded on Open Source ideals that allowed users to easily
master their computers would be extremely attractive to a large group of people
now laboring in Microsoft’s camp.  The much desired developers would come of
their own accord, should Solaris gain a significant majority of users.

Worry about the technology being used, but more importantly, worry about making
the technology easily usable.  In your debates and meetings and focus groups
ask the question, “Could a complete newbie use this in less than 5 minutes?”
Keep forefront in your mind that every time the answer is “No”, the barrier to
entry just got raised a little higher, Solaris’ market share just got a little
smaller, and a few more developers just picked a rival operating system to
develop for.

Picture a future where Free Solaris is the world’s most popular operating
system.  Looks good, doesn’t it?  The only way this can be is by appealing to
users.  Remove the barriers that keep this from becoming reality.