On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, James Carlson wrote:

> I think I'm one of the command-line geeks this message refers to
> somewhat indirectly.  My idea of a "GUI" is still twm with xterms and
> emacs windows, and I wouldn't really want to have it any other way.
>
> Just the same, I think having an environment available that can hide
> all of that away and that is robust enough that it's able to do so
> when things are going wrong would be great.  I just suspect that it's
> far harder (read: expensive) to make that work in any reliable way
> than most would suppose.

This type of open thinking is good, because there's not a lot of Jim
Carlsons in the world. If we want to grow Solaris, we need to focus on
areas which can allow more users to use Solaris seamlessly.

This is exactly what our CEO has pointed out with Ubunto, and after last
weeks allhands, I installed Ubunto on one of my computers. I honestly
don't see Solaris as being too much different, albeit where Ubuntu has a
leg up is in getting the bits on your computer, and updating them.

First, during the install I selected some type of "Guided
partition/resize", thinking it would guide me through using fdisk or
equivilant...bzzzt, wrong answer, and turned the computer off as it
started to repartition the disk with whatever values were on a slider,
which one was evidentally supposed to adjust before continuing.

Next time around I did a manual install, and set the disk as I wanted (and
no, I didn't loose any of the data on the computer).

So, I get it installed, all the hardware was detected, and all is running,
but on DHCP, not how I wanted it configured, but running none the less.

So, one of the reasons I did want to install Ubuntu is that I have an
opensource library which one of the Ubuntu developers wants to putback to
Debian, and I am updating the name to prevent name collision with another
library. Ah, but Ubunto doesn't install automake/autoconf/libtool by
default, it's more user oriented. This is important, because I am similar
to you in the regard that I just want this command tool that I need to
use, and in this case I don't care about a GUI, but searching through the
update GUI, I can't find any of the tools to save my life.

Lucky for me, I am pretty familiar with Debian, which Ubuntu is based on,
and can open a terminal, edit my sources.lst, do an apt-get update, and
pull the packages down I wanted...including KDE/Kubuntu, and other
stuff...but those pieces are not available through the default GUIs,
AFAICT, with a default install. It's always kewl to see a large bundle
like KDE pulling down 297 packages to install all it's glory...

>From a developer perspective, Ubuntu is no better than Solaris, IMO.
Because even though it does get bits on the computer better, the bits are
focused for a simpleton. Yes, I think we do need to attract these
simpletons...so we have a double edge sword of adoption/attraction.

I do wonder why we need to have a different GNOME desktop? Well, I know
why we do it (i.e., JDS), but I'm not sure why we should. It only diverges
us from the mainstream, and makes things different. Seems better to
leverage the mainstream GNOME project to me, and be the same, the Ubuntu
uses a stock GNOME desktop, AFAICT. Would be nice to see our desktop folks
working on implementing solutions for out environment, rather than adding
lipstick to the pig, for instance...wouldn't it be nice to grab a context
menu and be able to get the information for "zfs list"? Well, for you it
wouldn't, but for me it might. It confuses me that zfs has been out for
about a year and a half and we don't see our desktop folks doing that type
of simple integration. Being able to take snapshots, list information on
zfs filesystems, or getting the status of a zpool, those are all things
that should be available for the user.

OTOH, we're making quite a bit of progress, we even have some wifi
solutions in place, a modern X server, native OpenGL drivers for nvidia,
and some basic power management, acceptable audio, much better x86 support
with Sun finally selling x86 based systems. This is quite a bit better
than we were a couple years ago, when S10 was released.

Unfortunately our power play is zfs, and we don't have the abiltiy to boot
and/or configure the system for it at install time. This will need to be
transparent to the user, and to the user there should be little if any
difference than using ufs, fat, ext2/3, <gasp> reiserfs, or other.

Long story short, we need to retain the Jim Carlson users of the
community, and be able to attract more of them, but at the same time we
need to attract the simpletons to really drive adoption. This will take
some jugglin', IMO, to keep all happy.

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 IHV/OEM Group