You gentlemen have made some good points.  One of my goals with my open letter
was to encourage Solaris to find ways to allow users who are not in the
technical elite to use the awesome power that is available.  Ubuntu seeks to be
friendly by "dumbing-down" the Linux system.  This is a
lowest-common-denominator solution.  Regular users want the power that can be
offered by the command line, but don't have the time to learn the (you must
admit) archaic interface.  Build them an intuitive, lean interface that
explains the options so that the non-technical can use them in about 5 minutes,
and you've got a smash-hit on your hands.