>All
> I want is all the coding geeks running Solaris on
> their laptops/desktops. (Especially University
> coding geeks... That is where people generally
> develop their OS
> preferences). Remember people deploy what they are
> familiar with. Also, they tend to deploy to the OS
> they develop with. (But this is less set in
> stone).<br><br>Also, don't you get it?
> Proprietary apps are just a side show now... The real
> is action is in open source web development
> frameworks... (How many Linux users buy desktop
> applications!??!? Also it would be interesting to see
> of all the installed Linux servers what percentage
> are running shrink wrapped apps. I'd venture it
> is actually a small percentage.)

I disagree, Brian.  Developers tend to deploy to the OS they develop with?  If
that's so, there must be a helluva lot of developers working on Windows.  They
will develop to where the market is.<br><br>

You're right in saying that Linux users don't buy commercial apps.  This is
because:<br><br>

- There aren't any to buy.<br>
- There are FOSS equivalents to most commercial apps (of wildly varying
quality).<br>
- Few users who would be inclined to buy a commercial app (home users, artists,
photographers) use Linux.