Dear Mathew,

> > No, I have not decided on Solaris 10 11/16. I have
> also been exposed
> > to the most recent developer editions.  Indiana
> sounds promising.
>
> Agreed. But if you want to help Indiana - its
> probably best that you
> help out, it is a community project after all.

I have already affilitated with Indiana, and can non-techncially contribute to
the project, perhaps even 'partner' with Indiana and offer some strategies for
indiana to make a jump start...

> > > No, but before you drive a car you read, take
> pratical driving leasons
> > > then you sit a test to get your licence. You just
> don't simply go out,
> > > purchase a car and drive.
> >
> > Most of those who read and post in this forum are
> technical people,
> > who are by nature disciplined individuals. You have
> become what you
> > are by virtue of the fact that there has been a
> certain upbringing in
> > your lives, there has been discipline, you are guys
> who read the
> > manuals. But outside your arena are people, who are
> the ones who buy
> > what you create, who are quite unlike you.  People
> who go indepth on
> > consumer behaviour and do a lot of research on
> consumers would better
> > understand the attitude that I have described.
>
> Actually, that is rather presumptuous. My experience
> with computers only
> started by virtue of running an Amiga 500 and trying
> to get Kindwords
> working so I could type a letter to my nana about the
> new computer mum
> and dad bought.

You started off on a Motorolla 68000 clocking at 7 Mhz with a 512 KILOBYTE Ram
?  I envy you.

> As a family, my dad, whose only experience was
> selling computers for
> Burroughs (before it was bought out by Sperry and
> became UNISYS) 12 or
> so years prior. My father and I worked through the
> Kindwords manual
> provide to us which came as part of the Amiga package
> - and we learned
> gradually how to use it. It took time, and patience
> but after a year I
> was wizzing around doing all manner of things on my
> flash new Amiga - I
> thought it was the bee's knees.
>
> I am by no means an intelligent or disciplined
> person, but if at the age
> of 9 I learned how to master Kindwords on the Amiga,
> I think its a small
> thing to ask for end users at the very least,
> understand how to navigate
> around their computer - I mean, bloody heck, before
> Windows, end users
> were taught archaic codes for Lotus 1-2-3, DOS
> commands in terms of
> copying files from their hard disk to their floppy
> disk, how to unzip
> stuff - all this as part of a computer training
> course my old man took
> as part of his management degree around 15 years ago.

These were the difficulties that limited sale of computers to less than a
hundred thousand units when the world's population was 4 billion.  What is the
statistics today ? GUI made it possible to get the computer across to a quarter
of the population of the world. Improve the GUI, my maid servant will buy one.

> business, none of my business.
> Now, give me a solaris
> > >
> > > Why should I gove you a solaris computer that is
> easy; if you choose not
> > > to read then you, by your lack of action are
> saying that you're content
> > > with ignorance and content with Windows (or what
> ever you're running).
> > >

> > I repeat:
> > Most of those who read and post in this forum are
> technical people,
> > who are by nature disciplined individuals. You have
> become what you
> > are by virtue of the fact that there has been a
> certain upbringing in
> > your lives, there has been discipline, you are guys
> who read the
> > manuals. But outside your arena are people, who are
> the ones who buy
> > what you create, who are quite unlike you.  People
> who go indepth on
> > consumer behaviour and do a lot of research on
> consumers would better
> > understand the attitude that I have described.
> >

> > ( And Mathew, that is not me who is so rude, it is
> the person I am
> > going to sell a Solaris computer that I am building
> )
>
> But then thing is, I'm not disciplined; most of my
> books at home are not
> IT related, most of them are philosophy, religion,
> politics etc. IT
> per-say take up a very small component of my life - I
> certainly don't
> have the time or intention of learning massive
> amounts of Solaris stuff,
> but I have stuffed my head with enough knowledge that
> I'm not going to
> have a panic attack if I suddenly lose my GUI.

What you have written about you brings in an element of warmth to this forum.
You have said so much about you in this forum, which should encourage others to
interact as freely as you do.

> Quite frankly, not to sound elitist, but if it means
> that Solaris gets
> 15% of the market, but the 15% are those who are
> willing to pick up a
> book, willing to learn, willing to ask questions -
> then its alot better
> than having 40% of the marketplace with idiots who
> are unwilling to
> improve their skills.

Yes I agree on this. It is not wise to jump on the irrational user right away
with a Solaris desktop offering. Perhpas I will sell a computer or two to
people like you, and then move on to the common man.