Dear Ian Collins,

> This isn't the place to discuss the shortcomings of Solaris 10, many of
> these have been addressed in Solaris Express and other OpenSolaris based
> distributions.  Let the past rest and look to the future.

I have seen looked at developer editions, some of the most recent
versions of it, some of the shortcomings that I had specifically
mentioned might have been resolved, but the essence of what I am
talking about is better understood by actually using Mac or Windows
Vista. ( this is with a PURPOSE, use windows or mac, suspending all
your technical background, imagine that you are dumb and use Windows
or Mac )

> I have been trialling Solaris Express with an uncommon woman, a far more
> fickle user than your common man.  The only thing preventing her
> adopting Solaris as her exclusive desktop is some windows only
> software.  The main reason she and a number of other in bunt terms,
> computer illiterate, users want to to use an alternative desktop is the
> volume of malware directed at windows.  They don't really care what
> their PC runs, they just want something reliable and safe to read their
> mail, pay their bills and write the occasional letter.

That is very very interesting. But is she finding it easy to upgrade a
browser ? Does she like the idea of downloading the update and
following the command line routine of pkgadd etc. ?

No, I am not so much comfortable with Solaris 10,. I might go along
with Indiana.

Sivasubramanian.