Alan DuBoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Michael Huff wrote:
>
> > Is it that simple?
> >
> > Sun paid money to SCO to license IP (of some form) relating to Unix -why
> > would they do that if they already owned the rights to it?
>
> Insurance? While I don't know exactly what they did with SCO, in a world
> of litigation, a little extra insurance probably couldn't hurt.

I have been told that Sun did mainly buy a license for SCOs ethernet MAC
drivers and a license for SCOs "lkp" (the latter was most likely intended to be
used for "Janus" which is dead now.

If Sun people did ask me about the MAC drivers before, I did tell them that
SCO has something similar (but incompatible to) GLD and it would be hard to port
the MAC drivers unless Sun would be willing to have GLD + SCOs idea inside
Solaris at the same time.

My impression is that this was money spend in vain.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)