UNIX admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > In our case, HAL would need to mount:
> >
> > -   ISO-9660 (with Rock Ridge if present)
> >
> > -   Joliet
> >
> > -   UDF
> >
> > as there could be three different directory trees on
> > the medium.
>
> Actually, now that I think about, why artificially limit which filesystems
> can be mounted from any given media?
>
> Just because the media is optical, nothing is stopping me or anybody else
> from creating a UFS or FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, EFS, XFS, HP-UX HFS, VxFS, Apple
> HFS, ext3, or any other filesystem image and burning and/or copying that to
> the target media.

You cannot combine all these filesystems as they are in conflict when trying to
allocated blocks from the beginning of the volume.

> The algorithm should roughly be:
>
> 1. determine how many filesystems are on the medium
>
> 2. for each filesystem that Solaris CAN MOUNT, call the appropriate mount_
> command, regardless of WHICH filesystem that is

With the current concept on Solaris, there is a problem.
Joliet is handled as a flavor of ISO-9660 and no Solaris
program is able to find out whether a medium includes Joliet.

For unknown reason, Sun did omit "isoinfo"

# isoinfo -d -i /tmp/fs.iso
CD-ROM is in ISO 9660 format
System id: Solaris
Volume id: CDROM
Volume set id:
Publisher id:
Data preparer id:
Application id: MKISOFS ISO 9660/HFS FILESYSTEM BUILDER & CDRECORD CD-R/DVD
CREATOR (C) 1993 E.YOUNGDALE (C) 1997 J.PEARSON/J.SCHILLING
Copyright File id:
Abstract File id:
Bibliographic File id:
Volume set size is: 1