Kaiwai Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Irene, the first place I'd look is the libcdio replacement Brian
> > Cameron
> > and I coded up in March  (he mentioned it in
> > http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=37801).
>
> Cool - thank you for the link.
>
> Question: with the loss of paranoia support, are we going to see a
> release in the future which will provide support for error correction?
> with ripping and Soundjuicer, will it be possible to keep ripping even
> after an artifact is found in the ripping - aka an error due to a small
> scratch, for instance.

I don't see any reason to lose paranoia support.

I just checked the paranoia code from libcdio ....

-       It violates the Copyright of it's original Author!
        Rocky Bernstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did change GPLv2 _only_
        to GPLv2 or any later....

-       It does not fix any of the known bugs in Monty's paranoia code.

-       It won't work on Mac OS X

-       It has been created in 2004. At this time, a decent libparanoia
        implementation was already in cdd2wav. I did create a portable
        and fixed version of libparanoia in March 2002. I did get the
        permission from Monty to change libparanoia to LGPL.

In the area of CD/DVD support, there are a lot of people who are not willing to
cooperate and who collect outdated software from somewhere, using it to create
bad compilations of other peoples work.

cdda2wav uses libparanoia since 2002 and it combines libparanoia with up to date
low level CD reading technology. Other software seen in the net, is typically
based on code from cdda2wav from 1997. This is the same code that Monty did
take when creating the program "cdparanoia" as a patch to a 1997 cdda2wav.
Monty did never update the cdda2wav code that is used in cdparanoia and later
gave up this project in favor of OGG.

Meanwhile Heiko Eißfeldt and I did rework cdda2wav and added a lot of tricky
code that hwlps to read bad media. The quality of the results from libparanoia
of course depends on the read quality of the code it uses to read the media.
Cdda2wav is the best combination of low level read code with paranoia
verification code.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)