UNIX admin wrote:

> Not that I know of. But this goes against the very principles on which UNIX
> was built, namely, an OS which can be used by different people, working on
> physical and virtual terminals, all at the same time.

I disagree, it goes very much with the resource management principles of
a multi user timesharing system that UNIX is.

Thanks to the advanced resource management tools on OpenSolaris this is
actually possible:
http://blogs.sun.com/darren/entry/limiting_users_to_one_login

> Why would you even want to do something like that???

A user can't be in two or more physical places at one time, depending on
the environment having them logged in at multiple desktops units
(workstation, xterminal, Sun Ray DTU etc) could be considered a security
issue.

> You need a single user OS, non-UNIX OS for that. Windows, AmigaOS, older
> MacOS and the like would be good candidates.

I didn't take it that a single user OS was being asked for.  Instead
that a multi user system be able to be configured so that a given user
can login once and only once on a given machine.

Doing it network wide is harder - and in many cases better solved by
using Sun Ray - but possible (though not with the solution I outlined in
my blog: http://blogs.sun.com/darren/entry/limiting_users_to_one_login).

--
Darren J Moffat