> Solaris 2.5.1, in 16MB?  I *am* surprised; I know it
> kinda worked in 48MB
> (laptop I had at the time).

I have installed Solaris 7 on a 24MB SparcStation 1+, my own personal first
ever UNIX piece of hardware.

> SunOS 3.x had a graphical installer which worked in
> 4MB, so perhaps that
> is not an argument :-)

Why not? It's proof that it can be done in even less than 16MB!

But I persist with my question: has anyone involved with working on the Solaris
installer studied how sgi solved it?

> I think there's a fundamental flaw in he current
> installers; the
> installer needs to copy the 100s of megabytes of data
> it by and large
> does not use into memory before it starts working.

It could load the miniroot into the swap slice instead; if the disk has no
Solaris swap slices, it could use the newly ported qparted to offer to
resize/reslice and create the necessary swap slice to load the miniroot into,
and run it from there.

RAM requirements for such code are minimal, on the order of few hundred
kilobytes, plus whatever qparted needs. Even at 24-bit depth, installer
graphics could be made to fit in under 2MB at decent resolution.