> Except, of course, that swap slices aren't a required
> part of the
> system.

No, they aren't but in that particular scenario, they would be, just like they
were if one wanted to install IRIX. No swap slice meant no IRIX, plain and
simple, because miniroot couldn't be copied into it. But, considering they used
an exact same mechanism for a 1991 IRIS Indigo @100MHz and a 1,024 CPU Origin
3900 supercomputer, they've done a hell of a good job with their miniroot
installer.

Those engineers just kicked a**.

> The big trade-off is with development time and
> support: re-using
> common components (such as Xorg and GNOME) means that
> development is
> much easier and we end up with rapid development of
> new install
> features and good, lasting support.

Do you have a point? Yes, you do. But ask yourself, what is easier:

- go through megabytes and megabytes of GNOME code if there's a problem with
the installer
- maintain a few (hundred) KB of "custom" code?

> It's entirely possible to create a tiny installer
> using custom parts.
> We could probably fit the whole darned thing in 100KB
> if we wanted.
> The trade off would be:
>
> - It'd be custom stuff, so nobody would know how to
>  write to it.
>    Bugs would be inevitable.

If the documentation was really good, I do not believe that would be an issue.
Just because some code is "custom", that doesn't necessarily imply that it's
bad.

Apropos working on the "Caiman" project, I just might. This is directly related
to how much spare time I'm going to have, nothing more, nothing less.