On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Shawn Walker wrote:

> * If I have a choice between two pieces of hardware that both have
> really good performance, and roughly the same price, but one has open
> specifications, and one does not, I'm going to go with the one that
> has open specifications. That's why.

Nvidia has the nv driver, it's open. I suspect ATI will do similar and
give a water'd down version of their driver, not giving much at all out to
the communities.

>> ATI on the other hand has had crap. Superblitz graphics accelerators
>> which had crap for drivers, so much so even Windows users complained
>> how crappy it was.
>>

> Sorry, but people that have a strong background in 3D hardware disagree
> with you. Read some of the articles on www.beyond3d.com. You'll discover
> that ATi's hardware is often superior in design to nVidia's from a
> technical standpoint. However, their drivers have often disappointed.

Actually, most agree that ATI has not been a stellar company in regards to
listening to the customer and/or providing them with specs to any of their
hardware. I would say their track record speaks for themself.

> nVidia doesn't have bad things and I will freely admit that, but ATi
> has has good hardware now for a long time. (See XBOX 360 Xenos chips,
> etc.)

XBOX...isn't hat a mini-van by Scion?:-/

That is good hardware? The XBOX? Is there an open source driver for it? I
think not...

> Yes, and nVidia never lifted a finger for the PowerPC Linux community,
> etc. and has always refused to provide the specifications necessary for
> 3D to be available at all on their hardware for platforms that they
> don't care about.

But how is ATI any different? The only difference is that ATI might ask
for more $$$s than Nvidia from a company like Sun.

> There's plenty of blame to flung around at various companies.
>
> Suffice to say though that if ATi/AMD follows through on their
> promises, they deserve to be commended. If they do not, they deserve
> an equal amount of shame.

Suffice to say...take a gander at thier earnings...and their Senior Vice
Pres of worldwide sales left yesterday because:

"Rick decided to leave because he felt the regional model was not a good
fit for him moving forward, given the role he would like to play leading a
more centralized global sales force," an AMD spokesman said in a
statement.

I have heard of several folks leaving AMD, the bleeding seems pretty bad
over there...why does their SVP of worldwide sales leave the week before
they're supposed to announce Barcelona?

They also lost their EVP of Chief Sales and Marketing a couple weeks
ago...filed in their 8-k on Aug. 23rd...

>From the average user, something smells fishy at AMD...but if that's not
enough, the analysts don't have too optimistic of a view on AMD...at least
not from their estimates...:-/

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ae?s=AMD

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 IHV/OEM Group