On Nov 1, 2007 11:31 AM, John Plocher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OpenSource efforts are invariably meritocracies.
>
> Those that /do/, lead.
>
> Ian and the OpenSolaris Project are out there /doing/.

Indeed. And they are to be applauded for doing so.

Where it falls down is the usurping of the OpenSolaris name.
As you say, it''s a meritocracy. And any distribution becomes
*the* reference distribution by merit, not by executive fiat.

> They
> chartered a Project to do this, found several CGs to endorse
> their vision,

Endorse? The Indiana project was mired in controversy from the
start, partially because it was railroaded through, and partially
because of concerns (that seem to have been well founded)
that it would try and claim precedence over community-derived
distributions. As one f the Core Contributors who approved
Indiana, I did so because the project could do a great deal of
good, not because I necessarily agreed with everything they
wanted to do and certainly not the way in which things have
been done.

> and have just delivered the first distro built
> by the community out of the community's source code.

Come now. That belittles schillix, belenix, and martux.
And built by the community is a bit of a stretch. Certainly
not the whole community, and not even in full view of the
community and with full transparency in actions and decision
making.

I'm writing this from inside the live CD booted on my home
system. If I think about running a distribution called Indiana,
then it's a fine example of what can be done. If I think of it
as the reference OpenSolaris distro and the future direction
of OpenSolaris (and thus Solaris proper) then I get really
really worried.

It's not the product; it's the positioning and rhetoric that
are coming from some quarters that worry me.

--
-Peter Tribble