This proposal is intended to provoke productive discussion,
surrounding our current governance structure, by highlighting some of
the deficiencies that currently exist. While not exhaustive, it
attempts to explain why the current governance structure is
insufficient for the success and growth of the community, by comparing
and contrasting our existing governance model with that of other
organisations at a high level. It also suggests how our governance
structure might be changed to address those deficiencies.

It is the author's hope that all recipients of this proposal will take
the time to reflect on and carefully consider the points made here
before responding. This proposal is primarily directed at the OGB, as
representatives of our current governing structure. However, all
recipients are encouraged to respond. The inspiration for this
proposal is a direct result of recent events which revealed that
governance of the community is at the heart of issues facing the
community today.

The OpenSolaris community has existed as a self-governing entity since
Friday February 10th, 2006 [1]. Since that time, individual parts of
the community (and thus, the community as a whole) are continuing to
make progress in many areas, including: technical, communication, and
growth [2]. The community has grown slowly, but surely, into something
that we can continue to be proud of. The Advocacy (User Group),
Desktop, DTrace, and ZFS community groups are just a few examples of
that growth and progress.

However, the majority of this progress is a result of Sun's indirect
leadership [3], involvement, and the contributions of many individuals
within the community. Many of those individuals are paid by Sun to
work on Solaris, OpenSolaris, and related community projects. It is
important to note the distinction of "paid by"; as many individuals
are not employees of Sun (contractors) or were not employed by Sun at
the beginning but currently are. By observation, it is apparent that
none of this progress would have been possible without Sun's
initiative to provide the source code that served as the nucleus
around which the OpenSolaris project formed, and without their
ongoing, significant financial support (which the author estimates to
be in the range of millions of dollars).

Clearly, governance is one of the most important aspects of the
community. However, governance alone is not sufficient to achieve
sustained growth and success in a completely self-governing body, such
as the one we currently have. The leadership hierarchy must be clear,
and seen as inspirational [4], creative, shrewd, and fair.

Upon reflection, it should become apparent that leadership and
guidance is a necessary part of governance. To help us better
understand our current governance model, it is helpful to compare and
contrast our own governance model with that of others. Narrowing our
focus, from the many governance models widely known, results in
several which we will briefly examine. Commercially related projects
include: Mac OS X [5], PostgreSQL [6], MySQL [7], and Ubuntu  [8]
(created and supported by Canonical [9]). Other projects are those
such as Fedora [10], which are essentially alpha or beta
representations of commercial products [11]. Finally, we have Apache
[12] and OpenBSD [13]; which are organised around completely open
source [14] products.

All these projects or products share several common characteristics.
However, some characteristics are common and clearly visible:
sustained growth and success. Each project or product has a parent
entity that continues to build a community providing sustained growth
and success, whether they are primarily proprietary in nature [5],
have taken a hybrid approach between open source and proprietary
add-ons [7], or have the primary focus of the project completely as
open source [6, 8, 10, 12, 13]. They may also be experimenting with
pay-for-contribution models.

In each case, clear leadership within well-defined areas of expertise
is evident. There is a direct correlation between the quality of the
leadership and the sustained growth and success of each project or
product. The results are evident in a successfully delivered and
widely-adopted end-product within their respective target markets.

For a moment then, let us consider the leadership that is integral to
these projects and products. In Apple's [15] case, few would dispute
that Steve Jobs is clearly the primary source of leadership, and has
been directly responsible for their current success [16]. Likewise,
the OpenBSD project is well known for its leader, Theo De Raadt, who,
while sometimes outspoken [17], has relentlessly driven the project
towards an admirable level of fervour and success [18] as defined by
its stated goals [19].

Investigating further, we see that each one of these projects has
structured its leadership or governance differently. The Fedora
project chose a mix of appointed and elected members with RedHat given
final veto power (with the intention that it is to be used
infrequently) [20]. The OpenBSD project seems to have chosen its
leader as a result of a meritocratic [21] view (Theo is responsible
for the project's existence and also responsible for a significant
portion of engineering and other efforts) [19]. Finally, the Ubuntu
community also chose to follow a meritocratic governance model [22]
that includes teams (similar to our community groups), a technical
board (similar to our ARC), a community council (similar to our OGB),
and a clear leader (otherwise known as SABDFL [23] to which we
currently have no equal).

With the current governance structure of our community, the author
does not see a way for our community to achieve the required sustained
growth and success. The current governing board, as originally
intended, does not have the ability to provide the clear leadership
that our community requires. Recent discussions on our mailing lists
have made it quite clear [24] that community groups are responsible
for the day-to-day leadership and activities within our community
[25].

However, the constitution does not specify which community groups are
responsible for which activities and leadership roles. As a result,
recent discussions [26, 27] have lead to limited consensus about whom
has authority over these activities that are seen as representing the
entire community [28].

It is apparent, as a result of this, that our community is unable to
decide what the vision, purpose, and goals of our community really
are. This is surprising, given they were defined at one point [29].
Clearly, our community has not decided who represents our leadership
in these areas.

This leadership issue has resulted in the failure of our community to
achieve the level of sustained growth and success required for our
continued existence. It also illustrates the need for clear, inspired
leadership within our community. Clear, inspired leadership naturally
provides the sort of vision [4] that we require to determine a clear
direction, and a set of goals; while ensuring consensus about who
controls different areas of the community.

The real issue behind our current troubles is not primarily technical
or logistical (as the author erroneously previously believed) in
nature; it is not about naming, trademarks, or branding; it is about
the failure of community groups to take up the responsibilities, that
the OGB, empowered by our constitution, has delegated to them [24]
(which may be because they were not informed of this delegation;
adequately or at all).

The primary failure, as the author sees it, is that we currently have
no efficient, effective way to ensure that decisions will be made when
no clear consensus exists [30]. The OGB is currently unable to guide
our community in many situations, as they are not empowered to do so,
and voting on every issue is likely to end in deadlock either due to
the apathy of eligible voters [31] or a vocal minority that prevents
consensus from being achieved.

Consequently, the author believes that our governance structure must
be revised to prevent the current retardation in the growth and
success of our community. To achieve this, a specific individual must
be designated to provide the clear, inspired leadership role that our
community needs, along with empowering the OGB, to ensure that an
overall direction and vision for our community can be established.

We need to remember that Sun deserves special consideration as the
founding member of this community, the primary (and only as far as the
author is aware) financial supporter, and trademark holder. They
deserve, nay, must, have a key role in directing this community,
especially in the areas of product development and marketing.

The author believes that Sun must be allowed to fulfil this role as a
key leader for many reasons. Sun is accountable to their shareholders
for their significant financial support they provide to the
OpenSolaris project; whether that is directly or through a foundation
is immaterial. The potential for our sustained growth and success, and
to a certain extent, Sun's, is directly tied to the community. Failure
or Success by either Sun or of the community will affect both.

In conclusion, to resolve these deficiencies, it is the author's
belief that our existing governance structure must be revised to
ensure that clear, inspired leadership is provided to our community
(as a whole). Communities surrounding the Linux kernel [32], Ubuntu,
Python [33], OpenBSD, Apple, et al. have shown us how significant,
sustained growth and success can be achieved when a specific
individual helps provide the clear, inspired leadership every
community needs. Our community would not even exist today if were not
for the decision of leadership (notably, Jonathan Schwartz) [34] at
Sun to provide the source code that provides the reason for our
existence.

The only remedy available, in the author's view, is to ensure that
four changes are made by amending our constitution:

1) The OGB is empowered to make more decisions for the community.

2) An individual is chosen by our community to work with the OGB. They
will provide clear, inspired leadership and vision. It must be made
known that this position is one that is likely to be full-time and
require their complete focus. Any individual that is part of our
community should be eligible for this position regardless of whom they
are or are not employed by.

3) That Sun is permitted, as the principal stakeholder in our
community, to play a key role in product development and marketing of
the OpenSolaris trademark (which they own) given their clear
experience, accountability to their shareholders, and success in this
area. This role must be given a greater degree of authority than what
is currently granted by the constitution.

4) That the role of product development and marketing, as outlined in
our constitution, should be shared with Sun in a well-defined manner
with qualified members of the community.

Without Sun's continued support, the vision and clarity of inspired
leadership that a qualified individual can provide, and the further
empowerment of the OGB; the community will not achieve the sustained
growth and success that it requires for its continued existence [35].

--
Shawn Walker

P.S. The author appreciates and acknowledges the help of other
community members (you know who you are!) who persevered ( :-) )
through earlier drafts of this document. This proposal would not have
been possible without your assistance.

[1] http://opensolaris.org/os/community/cab/charter/
[2] http://blogs.sun.com/jimgris/entry/opensolaris_at_two
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadership