Shawn.

You seem to be of the opinion that a strong leader is necessary to the
success of a project.

Might I point out that the governance structure of FreeBSD (the most
successful of the BSD's, and arguably the second most successful open-
source operating system project in the world ) is governed by
committers (analogous to our "core contributors" ) electing a 9-member
core leadership team every 2 years who are responsible for overall
project direction and granting of CVS commit access to new members.