I think this is a bit nuts, but if you really want to go down that path...

You might want to look at Xen.  The hypervisor has been ported to IA64 and
Solaris has been ported to the hypervisor.  There would still be a huge
amount of work to do, but running Xen instead of bare metal might make the
task a bit more manageable.

In addition to giving you a simpler model to port to, using Xen lets you
begin by doing a domU port instead of a dom0 port.  This would let you make
a huge amount of progress even before tackling the painful early-stage boot
problems on bare metal.

Nils