On 12/11/2007, Holger Berger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Nov 12, 2007 6:01 PM, Shawn Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > The project will not have a chance. The Solaris/IA64 project was
> >
> > The source code is open and no one can stop such a thing from
> > happening; Sun may not have any desire to help and may actively not
> > help at all. So, actually, the project has a very good chance of
> > succeeding. There are no rules to prevent integration of said source
> > code either.
>
> Unlike the Polaris project you'd have to start from scratch, without
> sources of a previous project. You don't have machines or funding
> either, right?

I wasn't suggesting I would be the done to do it; I was just pointing
out that regardless of Sun's feelings the project can succeed.

Also, I would point out that there are many other code bases that do
run on IA64 architecture so they can be used as a reference point.

Machines or funding is not a question for me to answer as I have no
interest in working on such a port. I'm certain that if a qualified
individual asked for hardware to begin such a port that Intel would be
more than happy to work something out with them.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"We don't have enough parallel universes to allow all uses of all
junction types--in the absence of quantum computing the combinatorics
are not in our favor..." --Larry Wall