>>> I can also verify that it now works as it has worked on many other
>>> systems for a long time (i.e. GNU/Linux, *BSDs, etc.)

>> As a long time FreeBSD user, I don't remember seeing this particular
>> behavior on these systems.  And speaking about the "new" behavior,
>> I can revert to the preferred method simply by setting PAGER to
>> "more", instead of "less" (although bug id 6622763 says that "more"
>> is affected too).

> Actually, you will see this behaviour on FreeBSD as well, depending on
> what your $TERM is set to.
>
> If your term is just set to "xterm" -- you won't see it.

It is the case, which explain why I don't ever see it.

> However, if your $TERM is set to xterm-basic, xterm-8bit, xterm-r6,
> xterm-xfree86, xterm-vt220, xterm-hp, xterm-sco, or xterm-sun you will
> set this behaviour.
>
> In fact, konsole (the kde terminal program) doesn't appear to honor
> IhibitTitle either.
>
> So, it depends on what you consider the default terminal to be I suppose.

Nothing different that the one which is provided 'out-of-the-box'.  I didn't
change it on RHEL, Solaris+ or FreeBSD.  Just on AIX, but only to be
able to use 'smitty' properly (but that's another story).

> I continue to believe that most individuals will expect their screen
> output to be restored. Those who don't like it can easily revert to
> the old behaviour. The small inconvenience to those individuals is far
> outweighed in the positive overall user experience increase for
> others.

More than the "screen output to be restored" effect, I tend to disagree
when this clear the scrollback lines of my terminal when editing something
under 'vi' (as for some of my coworkers).  But I can understand this is a
personal preference, so I (we) will revert to the old behavior, as proposed
earlier.

--
julien.
http://blog.thilelli.net/