>On 18/11/2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> It fixed something which was broken since Solaris 2.0; it now works again
>> as it did in SunOS 4.x and before.
>>
>> It's a religious issue and I think it now works again as it did in
>> other OSes since a long time.
>
>Indeed; it has worked this way in *BSDs, and all GNU/Linux distros I
>have used for a long time.
>
>It is nice to see holy wars ended :)

Or started, depending how you look at it :-)

Here's the recipe to get the old behaviour back:

        dump entry:
                infocmp > /tmp/xterm.info
        edit to remove rmcup and smcup settings
        for csh/tcsh
                setenv TERMINFO ~/.terminfo
        for other shells
                TERMINFO=$HOME/.terminfo
                export TERMINFO

        then:
                mkdir $TERMINFO
                tic /tmp/xterm.info (after editing)

Make sure you set the environment variable TERMINFO in your login scripts.

Casper