It fixed something which was broken since Solaris 2.0; it now works again
as it did in SunOS 4.x and before.

It's a religious issue and I think it now works again as it did in
other OSes since a long time.

But it's largely a religious issue, as our internal mailing list
discussions on this subject also reflect.  You can set your own
TERMINFO to point to your own tic(1m) compiled xterm entry which you
can copy from an older build.

(I've used my own entry since 1992 because I vastly prefer the new
behaviour; and I was always annoyed when logged directly as root and
did not have my own TERMINFO)

If you don't want the new behaviour; use cat :-)

Casper